Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17, 2013

Another amazing week! I never know where to begin. I am in good hands here - a hilarious family had us over for dinner and fed us an awesome dinner and it took me a while to notice..but everything was green. There was a green spread on the bread, the noodles were green, we had chicken with a green pesto spread, limeade, and there was green candy on the table. It didnt hit me until desert when we had green icecream. GREEN. They were feeding THE GREENIE. They aren't so much this way, but their extended family is super red neck as well as their son who has killed deers and carried them home on the back of his car. Their relatives look like they came out of Duck Dynasty - that is NO exaggeration and they said they act like it too. I died laughing. So dont worry - its cool - im in good hands. Also mom, you'd be so jealous, along with my cow neighbors is obviously fresh farm eggs that we can buy. you know youre in the country when They have a fridge on the porch filled with eggs - self service. All you do is leave a couple dollars in the fridge. yeah, you guys, its real out here. Every day I have to make sure i'm not dreaming.
Funny note about my comp: remember how she played rugby with me? Well aparently I stalked her blog before the mish too. I just didnt realize it because i never knew her last name. She was telling me one day about when she was a block away from the boston bombing and I was like wait a second...i've heard this story before and definitely told it to a hundred people. Do you have a blog called "Boston Bound"? She's like oh my gosh yes!!! we died laughing. she told me another story and i was like "i know i know...." and then quoted a line from her blog. she was pretty freaked out but every time we die laughing so im pretty sure shes not TOO freaked out. We have the most amazing companionship! Im only worried because I know they just dont come better!
Yesterday we taught Cory, the guy whos getting baptized July 13th, the law of chastity. Try teaching a big black guy from the hood who has 2 kids out of marriage the law of chastity.........its......a great experience. I just wanted to die laughing the entire time. No need to say more. Long story short -  he committed. And when talking to him about his reading for the week (JS History) - he was applying it to himself (and we never told him blankly to apply the scriptures to himself its awesome) and basically shared an awesome testimony with us. and Sister Crane was like, "So do you believe it? do you think he really was a prophet?" and he got this look on his face and said yes. Its amazing to see people who are really sincere - you can tell the difference when hes not. and because he knows these things are true - its easier for him to commit to hard things. once you realize the WHY...things arent hard anymore.
I love everything about being a missionary...and half the time i have no idea why or i cant put it into words. its the same way i feel about how our investigators feel about the temple. A lot will say about the temple in more words or less: "i want that". And its funny because they really have no idea even what the temple is. But they want it and they say things like "i know i have to quit smoking if i want to go there". um hello - thank you for saying it yourself when i didnt even teach you that yet. Thats when you know someone gets it and is prepared - when they see BEYOND baptism. Because its not about baptism - its about converting others unto christ to help them see the eternal perspective and to always strive for something greater..something better. So although they dont KNOW what the temple even is, they FEEL it. The spirit has planted that desire in their hearts so they will want to continually strive and endure to the end. its the same way I feel about being a missionary: I dont know all the tricks of the trade yet that is for sure. half the time I dont know what im doing...but I FEEL it. And I know that is the same feeling from the spirit that is in my heart that makes me want to continually strive to be better and want to be a better example of Christ. I hope that sometimes you dont know why you are doing something or all the details of something...that you FEEL it. Because that's more important and more lasting than knowing the details.
I want you all to know that this is the Lord's gospel. And the atonement is much much more than just repenting of our sins or feeling clean. Its a continual change towards God. Becoming one, and becoming something greater - something we cannot do without him paying the price first. What a blessing that is to know that. Dont take advantage or be careless with that knowledge - live it and share it. Even members of the church continually need your examples and your strength. Look and pray for opportunities and act on them. The Lord provides daily small miracles. I love you all! Im sure you guys a praying a lot...someone has to be because i am definitely feeling them. Keep them up please - prayers work. They aren't just a one way wish to God.
Love,
Sister Bell
keepin it real, because it is real

No comments:

Post a Comment