Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014

picture: before transfers at the Perry's house. we love the perrys. Id send more but i cant find my camera cord :/ The perrys are having a birthday dinner for me on my b-day and i get to invite all the potential investigators and lonely members i want. itll be fun!
Guess what? I have roomates! It's not a 4 person apartment but the 2 sisters that are temporarily with us (who know what "temporary" means) are the 2 i would have chosen - they're very very easy going and easy to get along with, so it's actually been kind of fun.
This week was great - we definetly have our hands full. We did splits for the first time I've been in Belmont and its already created miracles. Sister Kendall and I are getting along great. I am so so happy. I have so much to learn still but I feel like more and more principles of the gospel and being a missionary are starting to crystalize more.
 
Learning moment for the week: Our mission is reading the book of mormon as a mission and have been asked to finish it by a certain point, using a floppy copy and highlighting in different colors: refrences to Jesus Christ, his words, and his attributes. It's been an amazing experience so far counting the references to Christ. While reading in 1 Nephi this week again when Lehi tells Nephi that him and his brothers have been commanded to go back and get the plates, i learned something new (of course). Nephi had just had a vision hearing the words of the Lord teaching him the principles of obeying commandments and the promised blessings that come as we do so. IMMEDIATELY following this experience he talks with Lehi and Lehi tells him what God wants him to do. I never had thought about how the Lord loved Nephi so much and wanted to give him the promised blessings of obedience so strongly that he prepared Nephi to accept a difficult requirement. I wonder how Nephi would have responded if he hadn't been prepared in the way that he had. He was so excited to obey and didnt think twice and now I can see why. God loves us - he is ready and willing to give us blessings that come from responding to difficult circumstances. It's neat to see how he prepares us in ways we don't even realize. I was prepared with the desire to serve a mission so that when the call came I was excited to obey and didnt think twice. When challenges arise or circumstances change that we havent experienced before, do we remember how much the Lord loves us that he has prepared us? We are promised that he won't give us anything that we wont be able to handle and that he has and will prepare a way. Nephi knew this and so he trusted God enough to move forward even in the unknown circumstances.
The second thing I learned was later on when they are trying to take the records from Laban. We know they try 2 times and fail. Just before the 3rd time it says the Lord will deliver Laban into their hands. I thought this was interesting because so many times we pray that trials and burdens will be OUT of our hands. Laban was definetly a burden and it would have been a lot easier if God would have made it so Laban was OUT of the way. But he didnt do that. He said that he would allow him to get in their hands, but with the promise that it would be ok - they'd know how to work through it. As a result, Nephi was a completely different person for the rest of the book because of what he ended up having to do. Do I pray that I dont have to experience a trial anymore, or do I pray that I will know how to handle the trial?
If Nephi didnt experience what he learned in that crucial moment of decision, I dont think he would have been prepared to make other decisions later in the book of mormon. again, a sign of God's love. The whole book of mormon is just pouring out with evidences of simply how much God loves us!
I know that he does - I feel his love everyday. Some days are still really hard, and some days I dont know why bad things happen to good people, and sometimes i'm not super excited to go and obey...but sometimes I think that's ok. But I do know that days are just filled with opportunities - opportunities to turn those circumstances into feeling God's love, opportunities to remember that we know we have been prepared for this time and we are being prepared now for future decisions and circumstances. We are prepared for this life as well as decisions and circumstances we are going to face in the next life.
I know that God provided a way that our families can be literally sealed together, that this life is not the end, but the beginning. This is a life of choices and no matter where we are at physically or spiritually, we have each been given the light of christ to make those choices that lead us to feeling the love of the Savior. I'm so grateful for the choices i've made, especially the choice to be baptized by the true authority and power of God so that it doesnt just have to be the light of christ anymore where the light switch turns on and off, but a constant ray - a sun that never sets - that allows me to feel God's love more readily and helps me with those circumstances I face. I am grateful that it prepared me to make more promises in the temple so that I get to receive even more blessings!
Aren't we just a blessed people?
 
Love you all and I hope you have a blessed week too.
Love,
Sister Bell
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment